Thursday, June 2, 2011

Easy Peasy Minestrone Soup

Yayy - June! Okay...so i haven't blogged in a month. Oops. I am realizing that it's really hard keeping up with a blog, an awesome but busy job, and with a "energetic" 11 month old girl (today, eeps) who has places to go and people to see! It's important to keep up with self-care so my goals for this month are to get back to my blog and to yoga now that my tendonitis is slowly healing. I always tell my clients about prioritizing self-care so if I don't do it than I am a big hypocrite!  So in order to make this easier I may not be posting pictures as often, since that's the part that really takes up more time. We'll see how that goes.

So this recipe is one that I came up with this year and it's great because it freezes well for future meals. The beans and peas (hence the peasy) pack the soup with protein which is key for me now that I am pretty much a vegetarian. I tend to just keep a lot of these ingredients on hand so I just throw them together for an easy and healthy meal. Enjoy :)


Minestrone Peasy Soup:

1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup organic carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) chick peas, drained, rinsed
4 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 tsp basil basil
1 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen organic peas
3 cups chopped organic dark leafy greens. I use kale.
1 cup whole wheat pasta

Combine all ingredients and except for last 3 ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes. Add frozen peas and kale and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Add pasta and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until al-dente. Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese for a non-vegan version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment