Monday, June 27, 2011

Crunchy Kale Chips

My health-food-recipe-loving friend Gail mentioned that she needed a new kale recipe so I thought about trying something different with kale. Kale is really one of my favorite foods. Odd I know, but I just love it! It's a good thing that I discovered kale "chips" at my whole foods recently, only to find that it's like nine dollars for a little container. I am just not paying that much for dried up veggies!  So I made my own version at home and they came out well. At least I think so...my husband proclaimed that they were gross, but then again, he is not a veggie lover! I guess you gotta be a kale lover.  Anyway, this is for Gail and any other kale lovers out there...I know you exist!

Crunchy Kale Chips:


1 bunch of fresh kale
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1-2 dash salt
1-2 dash pepper
2-4 dashes of garlic powder
Any other spices you love!


Rinse and dry the kale very well. I made the mistake of not doing this initially and some were too damp to bake well. Make sure all the water is gone! Remove leaves from the stem and break the leaves up into pieces the size of chips. Toss with above ingredients.  Don't over do the spices. Once these bake there really aren't a lot of chips so the spices can be powerful.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread kale out evenly, with leaves not touching each other so that they all dry out. Bake at 350 for 12 - 15 minutes until all moisture is gone and chips feel crispy.  Watch so that they don't burn.  Eat the day of, these don't keep well.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment