Thursday, May 5, 2011

Home-made Tart Fro-Yo

Happy May, readers! Here is how I make home-made frozen yogurt without an ice-cream maker. My husband and I love frozen yogurt in the spring...summer...and really all year round. It's such a healthy and refreshing dessert but unfortunately the habit can be costly.  I pretty much live off of plain yogurt so when the tart frozen yogurt craze hit a few years ago I was very excited! I devised a home-made version of tart fro-yo that my husband says he likes even more than the kind at Pinkberry type places by us (score). It involves some time, unless you have an ice cream maker which would make this recipe even easier.  But if you are home for the day or evening it's really easy and just requires you to check in with the recipe every hour or two. You will have to use GREEK yogurt for this recipe, which adds the creaminess and texture without the fat or the need for an ice-cream machine.  If you tried this without greek yogurt, whole milk yogurt would probably work well too. This is a baby-friendly recipe so I will be trying this with whole milk yogurt for my daughter soon! Next time I will try this with honey to cut out the refined sugar as well.

Home-made Tart Fro-Yo (serves 2-3 people)


-2 cups fat-free plain greek yogurt, unsweetened
-1/4 cup sugar (or less if you like it super-tart like I do)


Mix all the ingredients.  Place in a covered bowl in the freezer for 7-8 hours until the texture reaches a soft-serve consistency.  Every 1 to 2 hours, stir the mixture so that ice crystals don't form and to ensure that the frozen yogurt freezes evenly.  Top with fresh berries or whatever you like! Serve immediately after taking out of the fridge, this melts very quickly! Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. YUM - must.try.soon. But, just for clarification...do you mean put in a covered bowl in the freezer rather than fridge???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant freezer, that would not be good, will correct that!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete