Hello March! Yay! This is definitely a winter comfort food so I figured I better go ahead and post this one before it's spring. Wishful thinking. Okay, I know, this picture does not look appetizing. But OMG, I am excited about this creation because I think it came out very yummy. Rice pudding can be made healthy and even non-dairy! This is also very easy to make. It may seem like too much liquid but as the pudding cools and the rice absorbs more water it is definitely the right consistency. I used coconut milk to give it a lot of creaminess and flavor but I am sure you can use almond milk or low-fat milk. I wouldn't recommend this with skim milk though, but you could give it a try.
1/2 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
2 cups water
1.5 cup light coconut milk (can buy at TJ's)
.5 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-combine the rice with water, coconut milk, and almond milk and bring to a boil
-cover and simmer for 20 minutes on low
-Add maple syrup/honey, cinnamon, and vanilla and mix through
-Impress hubby that this is healthy and yummy rice pudding!
That sounds so yummy! I will definitely try it!
ReplyDelete