Sunday, March 20, 2011

Veggie Cholent

Some of you may be wondering what cholent is.  Cholent is a very healthy and delicious version of Jewish chili. It's perfect for Shabbat because all you had to do is throw the ingredients in the crock pot on Friday and you have a hearty meal that fills you up for the day on Saturday.  When you wake up Saturday morning the entire house smells so yummy! We eat this with whole wheat challah and it's the best. Also, it freezes so well so you will have plenty left over if you are just serving two people. I created this recipe from some different ideas I have learned over the years. The fun thing about cholent is that you can be really creative and not mess it up since everything just cooks down and the flavors blend together.  Feel free to sneak in other veggies.
My secret ingredient is...BEER! It gives it depth of flavor and really pairs so well with the barley and beans. Try it!

Veggie Cholent:

-2 sweet potatoes cut up in large chunks
-16 ounces of dried beans (I use a combo of lima, lentils, white beans, navy, chick peas). Rinse and soak beans overnight. Drain beans.
-1 cup of barley rinsed and drained
-3 carrots chopped
-2 handfuls of chopped celery
-2 onions, chopped in large chunks
-2 chopped garlic cloves
-1 tbsp brown sugar
-2 tbsp ketchup
-2 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper
-1 tsp paprika
-1 bottle of beer. I use Guinness.

Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Pour beer in. Pour some water in until the mixture is covered by one to two inches of liquid. Cook in crock pot for 12 - 16 hours on low.  You don't want the cholent to dry out. Check it in the morning and if it looks dry, add 1/2 cup of water.  I have to do this once or twice until it's ready to be served.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Anything with a bottle of beer in it is a good idea :) I really need to get a crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, Tamar - you have me wishing I were Jewish ;) I guess I don't have to be Jewish to cook like I am. That sounds and looks awesome. I'll be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Amber, you are an honorary Jew :)
    If you try it let me know how it goes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete