Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mediterranean Flounder

Okay my recipe for this one is very imprecise. More like a pinch of this and a pinch of that kind of thing. But the sauce usually comes out the same each time. You can use any kind of light white fish like flounder, tilapia, or cod.  I often make this with tilapia as well. The addition of the olives and capers make this an Italian or Greek inspired dish. I am a fan of all greek-like foods!
You won't need to salt this dish because the capers and the olives add plenty. If you don't mind having a creamy sauce just add 1/2 cup tomato sauce instead of the diced tomatoes, but I really think that diced tomatoes give the dish good texture. This makes 2 servings.

Mediterranean Flounder

2 large fresh fish fillets
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato sauce or marinara sauce
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 handful fresh organic spinach
2 tbsp chopped olives  (I use kalmata olives)
1 tbsp capers
pepper to taste




Saute fish in a skillet or bake until it looks done and it flakes. In a separate pan bring the other ingredients to a simmer and continue to simmer on low for a couple of minutes until the spinach begins to wilt. Remove from heat and top the fish with the sauce.

I found that this pairs well with whole wheat spaghetti, a greens salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and white wine. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment