Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snow Day Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Good morning. Since my hubby has a snow day today and no school (yay) I decided to hit the kitchen to experiment. Free time for me! I wanted to create a healthy snow day comfort food breakfast. What I came up with is reminiscent of pumpkin pie, only super healthy.  Before cooking the oatmeal I separated off some pumpkin puree for my daughter's dinner this evening.  So easy!

Snow Day Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal - 2 servings

-1 cup old fashion oats
-2 cups water
-3/4 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin like Libby's)
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
-pinch of cloves
-dash of salt
-1/4 cup almond milk (any milk will work. Use 1/2 cup milk if you like your oatmeal creamier)
-1/2 cup maple syrup
-handful of nuts

Cook oats together with water and a dash of salt on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin, vanilla, spices, almond milk and maple syrup to the oatmeal and cook through for a few minutes on a low heat.  Pour into two bowls and top with a dash of cinnamon and sprinkle with some nuts. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. oh YUMMO - this would have to just be for Audrey and I since Shaun is anti-sweets in the morning. Can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete