Hey there! Here is my latest salad creation. Lettuce salads are kind of boring to me these days. I love trying different salads...like warmed salads, dark greens salads, or salads with roasted veggies. I named this one a "power salad" because it is packed with lots of healthy foods that give you energy. I especially love this salad after yoga. Then I feel super energized! Although this recipe is not one of my quick recipes, it definitely makes a lot and the salad lasts for a few days leaving you with several meals. Now, a note on wheatberries. Wheatberries are definitely the most overlooked grain! They are a great addition to a salad with their chewy and hearty texture. You can find them in any natural foods store, including Whole Foods. Directions on how to prepare them are below. They are easier to make than brown rice because you really don't HAVE to soak them (though some recipes may call for that) and you don't need a specific water ratio either. Easy!
Wheatberry Power Salad:
1 bunch organic kale
1.25 C wheatberries
1 can chickpeas (hmm lentils may work well too!)
1/2 of a medium red onion - finely diced
1 garlic clove - minced and crushed
1 large handful dried cranberries
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
-Rinse wheatberries. Pot in a pot with water and cover 3 inches with water. Bring to a boil, reduce to low and continue to cook uncovered for one hour. Drain wheatberries.
-Wash and de-stem kale. Cut kale into bite size pieces. Saute on medium-low with some olive oil until soft and dark green about 10 minutes.
-Combine all of the ingredients when the kale and wheatberries are still warm so they can absorb the dressing.
-Chill for a couple of hours before serving.
Enjoy!
Okay, this is going on the "to make" list - now that I am post baby and want to start getting back into shape, I need go to salads like this one. Perfect for the hot summer too!! Thanks, T!
ReplyDelete